5 Spring Cleaning Tips to make this dreaded experience go as smoothly as possible!!!
It’s that time of year again….Spring Cleaning Time or as I say Scrub Clutter Trash, SCT!! Everyone in my home hates SCT, a time where I go crazy cleaning every inch of our home.
This year appears to be worse than most years. With our current remodeling of our bathroom my house is extra messy. This of course is no fault of mine, it would be my husbands fault. When he works on a project he seems to drop whatever is in his hands wherever he wants. There are tools and parts all over my house. So I am getting anxious to get started!!
Also over the last 5 years I have had seen my sons slowly moving out to create a new life without me ….they are just so ungrateful leaving me in this messy house!! I am currently down to 2 sons and one of them is leaving in the fall. Of course when they left me all alone they left behind large piles of stuff. So I have decided that after 5 years it was time to purge my home of their junk!!
This year my goal is to see my house lose some unwanted weight. Yes, I know the owner of the house could stand to lose some weight but that does not appear to be happening so instead I would like to see a 20-40% drop in weight off my house!!
SCT can be one of the greatest reward filled events in your life. Now I know some of are thinking she must be insane because who actually likes to clean. Not me!!! I would much rather do just about anything than cleaning….but having a clean house is such a wonderful feeling that women all over the world go through the process of SCT every Spring.
Here are some of my best tried and true tricks for making this years SCT a success with as little pitfalls as possible.
1. PLAN— First and foremost write-up a plan. If you have no plan then you have no focus. Without focus you can easily be swayed into prolonging the process or completely giving up. I write out my plan and let the family know what we are doing and when we are starting.
2. DIVIDE AND CONQUER— Do one room at a time. Pick where you’ll start and complete that room before moving on to the next room. Cleaning one room completely before moving on gives you the satisfaction of having one room in your home looking fantastic.
3. START AT THE TOP— Always start at the top and work your way down. Do the ceiling first and get all those cobwebs, then the walls, cupboards then finally floors.
4. BINS–Have three different bins labeled give away, throw away, and keep. As you go through each room anything that is trash goes, anything that is still in good shape you should donate, and anything you have decided to keep goes into the labeled bin.
5. WORST COMES FIRST–Always start with the hardest room. If you start with the hardest then SCT becomes easier as you progress through your home. If you save the hardest for last you may become discouraged and not want to finish the work and that would be tragic!!
*Disclaimer: This is not my home!! I just like to pretend!!
I hope this years SCT is a pleasant and quick project for all of my readers and I hope that some of these tips will help you accomplish your goals. Of course if they don’t work you can always get your husband and children to do it for you while you sit in a large Throne like chair barking out orders!!!
cleaning, its an endless task! and the sooner robots are available to do it all, the better!
I agree we all need a house cleaning robot, I wonder whose working on that??
I admire your energy! I agree it is lovely to have a clean house. My best cleaning tip: Invite the in-laws for Sunday dinner and spend Saturday cleaning the house 🙂
Great idea Anna, that works all the time for us here!!